Top 10 Sustainable Design Universities
10. The New Kid on the Block: Esmod Berlin,
of Fashion International University
If you prefer to combine a little sun and sustainability then Otis might be the answer. The school is just beginning to integrate sustainability into its curriculum by offering a Sustainability Minor that fulfills the school’s Liberal Arts and Sciences requirements. As part of the Fashion Major, design students can take the Introduction to Green Materials and Sustainable Design class as an elective. In addition to classwork, Otis recently completed Phase 1 (2003-2010) of its sustainability plan, which emphasized the integration of the triple bottom line (Profit, People, and Planet) into the business of fashion. Let’s see what’s in store for Phase 2.
8. The Grande Dame: University of the Arts London, Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design
It’s hard to go wrong with Central Saint Martins one of the most highly regarded schools for fashion design in the world. Be sure to check out the short courses in the program, which are often taught by London-based designers focused on sustainability.
7. The Sleeper: Pratt Institute, Fashion Design
Pratt may not always be in the fashion design news but they offer a number of peripheral programs that are integrating sustainability in both in and out of the classroom. The Pratt Design Incubator for Sustainable Innovation was launched in 2002 to help launch and grow socially- and environmentally-minded enterprises. Additionally, friend of Source4Style and Director of the Pratt Center Adam Friedman has done quite a bit of research on promoting sustainable development and local manufacturing, particularly within the apparel sector.
6. The Ivy League: Cornell University, Fiber Science & Apparel Design
5. The Hipster: Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)
If you are in
4. The Trailblazer: California College of the Arts (CCA)
CCA was one of the progenitors of a sustainable fashion curriculum, thanks to the likes of Lynda Grose, member of the design faculty and a major force for sustainable design. In addition, the school has engaged in a myriad of creative projects including the
3. The Risk-Taker: Parsons The New School for Design, School of Fashion
Parsons prides itself in offering a top-notch program for Fashion Design, calling everyone from Donna Karan to
2. The Future Force: University of Delaware, Fashion & Apparel Studies
Since 2008, the
1. The Cr me de